After using it now and there and being positively surprised when traveling myself, I decided to refurnish my more or less empty room of my childhood home and post it on AirBnB in May 2015.
Not going too much into details – its going unexpectedly well, guests keep coming and after paying off the investments, add some small sums to mine and my dad’s pay check. Its fun!
Then, after expanding our facilities a bit, we decided to make a logo for our humble guesthouse.
Not not very artistic with brush, colours and the like, I thought it might be better to leave the creative process to others. Now brainstorming sessions with family and friends follow.
Here some first concept art by very talented artist Veronika:)
If you wonder what the deal with the flower is. Its an “Edelweiss”, sort of the national flower of Switzerland. “Edelweiss” among many other names made it to the finals.
The only one rolling his eyes over the name decision is my brother who worked for “Edelweiss Airlines”, the Swiss holiday airlines. The running gag now is the complain that they stole our logo whenever he pulls out a red-white gadget with the flower.
Anyway, the concept art needed to be turned into a readable logo.
Here is how far my rudimentary photoshop skills got me:
Not far. Asking my other brother who had worked in web design for help, he forwarded to it to one of his former colleagues. Some weeks passed.
Instead of a logo, I got the recommendation to try out “Fiverr”.
Never heard of it. Interesting though! For five dollars the internet pretty much does whatever you want, provided it can be sent by email. Text editing, a business plan, some rap verses, business card designs, your name replacing the Hollywood sign, and… BAMM! A business logo.
Actually there are hundreds of guys telling me they will make an amazing logo for five bucks. As any lazy guy, lets get the one with the top rating. He promises two logos for the price. Nice. His profile says he’s from India. Lets try.
Now here starts the fun part. This is what I wrote with my order:
I’m looking the create a logo for our AirBnB/Guesthouse/Bed & Breakfast in Switzerland. Its quite small.
We want to call it “edelweiss guesthouse” (or just “edelweiss”?), is a swiss flower
a friend of mine drew [the logos above, I sent a dropbox link]
personally i like the flower over the swiss map (swiss flower 1+2), main colors red and white but you are the expert so work freely! 🙂
Tadda! Some 12-20 hours later, first results follow.
Uhm.. yeah well.
At now point in this Blog I want to appear ungrateful. I kinda expected the perfect logo out of now where. Looks like a beer brand. And the colour has to change. Red, brown and green? Really. To be fair, these colours were in the drawings.
Lets send it back and give some additional instructions
that was fast, thank you! I like “39829_edelweiss_Logo_AV_MOCKUP1” especially your concept of the flower.
A few things changed if you dont mind:
– I’m not to fond of the colors. I want to capitalize on the “Switzerland” brand, so the main colors should be red and white. maybe black for outlines and yellow for details but there i’m not sure how it would look.
– the “edelweiss guesthouse” without capital letters.
– can you put a hint/concept of the map of switzerland in the back, like my friend did with the logo? mb simplyfied with sharp edges… doesnt have to be 1to1 but that customers get the hint that we are a Swiss guesthouse
the file attached shows the original idea… just it should be more abstract
thanks, great work!
Waiting 12-20 hours:
Yeah. Not quite. You googled Switzerland and put the map in the background. How do I get this guy to consider all the points I write? Back to India it goes.
thank you! i think we are getting there step by step.
a few things though:
– drop the green and brown with the letters.. i think its to heavy. also might try a cursive font?
– also the map of switzerland is to heavy/bold.. i think it might look better if its just the outline of the map as i wrote in my previous mail. maybe in red and simplfied edges and then the flower as a contrast.
– also the interaction between text and image should be more dynamic… we are a young and casual enterprise, it is a bit too formal now
thanks a lot! looking forward to see the changes!
Again some 12-20 hours later (its the automatic reply message from the guy saying he will make the changes within 12-20 hours).
Dude seriously. Do you even read my mail. There is like five points, why do you think I’m happy if you just change one? and still green and brown! Lets numerate the points, maybe then they will be considered.
hmm the logo is not bad but I saw you did not yet implement the changes, just the outline of the map…
i made a scetch of what i have in my mind, please take a look.
1. the map should be red and simplified to a edgy shape which is still the map of switzerland but more artistic.
2. the flower in contrasting colors to the map (black, white, yellow)
3. the text:
– change the colors so they match the logo, brown and green doesnt work
– make it interact with the logo, for example if the map is bigger, part of the name could be in the map and the map will be “broken”
thanks a lot, looking forward to the changes
Now lets see if it worked:
Hey not bad at all! Numerating the desired changes worked. Now I somehow need to get the guy to depart from the default map. Then its just gonna be some minor adjustments. Here we go.
thank you, it looks a lot better!
so few more things:
1. in the last mail i asked if you can re-draw the map of switzerland. now it is the accurate and actual map of switzerland. that is god for geography and stuff but i want a more futuristic logo. So just imagine you are Picasso and draw the map with straight lines and very sharp edges. Kind of like in the scetch that I sent you last time. Can you do that? I think it would look great.
2. the flower is good like this. Just a little bit bigger and a tiny bit higher up in the map.
3. i also think the map of Switzerland should be interupted for the letters and the flower
thanks a lot! I’m looking forward to see the changes!!
Another estimate of 12-20 hours:
Yes! He did it! Thats about what I had in mind. Now just some minor adjustments (am I being to picky? I mean what you expect for 5 Dollars, but it was still a purchase). So….
thats exactly how I imagined!
okay one more little change if I may ask:
in the bottom left corner of the map, the edges do not seem clean. Can you straighten that up?
also on the right side, that one part is round, can you make it with corners?
thats it i think… also can you send me one version where the writing stays like this and one where both parts (edelweiss and guesthouse) are in black?
i think afterwards we have a super cool logo 🙂
thanks a lot!
And here we go!
I think we that we can be happy, what do you think?
I guess it took some mutual patience, but at last we have our logo. Definitely a recommend for Fiverr.